Student jobs

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Student Employment

Please refer to the Employment Guide for more-detailed information about the following topics.

What is the difference between Student Labor and Federal Work-Study?

Both programs allow students to earn money to meet educational expenses. The available jobs and levels of pay under the Student Labor and Work-Study programs are the same. Students receive bi-weekly paychecks for hours worked under both payrolls. The difference between these two programs is the funding source for the hourly wages.

  • Student Labor is a work program open to all students, regardless of financial need. Student Labor positions are funded by individual on-campus departments.
  • Work-Study is a need-based financial aid work program. Funds are limited and are awarded based on financial need and in order of application filing date to eligible full-time students who’s FAFSA has been received by the Federal Processor by the on-time deadline of March 1st. Students may only earn up to the limit of their Work-Study awards for a given term or academic year.

Important details about Federal Work-Study:

  • For funds awarded for the academic year or fall semester, a Work-Study job must be secured by a deadline established each year by the Office of Student Financial Aid Services (usually mid-September). Failure to meet this deadline will result in the loss of the Work-Study award for the entire academic year.
  • Students who plan to work only in the spring semester must notify Student Employment by the deadline to “hold” the spring portion of their Work-Study awards.
  • Only the fall portion of the Work-Study award may be earned during the fall semester. Any unearned portion from the fall semester will roll into the spring semester’s earnings eligibility.
  • Students may not earn more than the Work-Study award amount. It may be possible, however, for a student to continue employment using Student Labor funds if the employing department has funds available. Students are encouraged to discuss this possibility with employers in advance..
  • Work-Study earnings are taxable income and specified on an annual W-2 form. They must be reported on the following year’s FAFSA.
  • Work-Study earnings, as reported on a W-2 form, should be indicated in the appropriate section of the following year’s FAFSA.

What types of jobs are available?

There is a wide variety of jobs, including administrative support, information technology, library services, arts & media, recreational services, childcare, tutoring, dining service, and maintenance. All positions are considered temporary and are subject to renewal each semester or academic year. Most positions are located on-campus.

How can students find jobs?

All Student Labor and Work-Study positions are posted on the website. Students may search and apply online under the finding source appropriate to them:

  • Storrs Student Labor
  • Storrs Work-Study
  • Regional Campus Student Labor
  • Regional Campus Work-Study
  • Off-Campus Work-Study Community Service (for any work-study student)

Students also may also learn about Work-Study opportunities through the Office of Community Outreach ( or by direct contact with various on-campus departments.

Employers will select students for phone or in person interviews given the information provided in the job application, so student should ensure applications are complete and free of errors.

Can Work-Study be used for off-campus employment?

Students with Work-Study awards may elect to earn those awards working off-campus. These community service positions must be in the public interest. Employers include pre-qualified non-profit, federal, state or municipal agencies. Search the website for off-campus community service jobs or contact Student Employment at 860-486-3474 for additional opportunities. Work-Study students who choose off-campus employment must contact Student Employment prior to beginning work. Each off-campus employment opportunity requires prior approval.

How much are students paid?

The rate of pay is based on the skills and level of experience required. The pay rate is determined by the hiring supervisor and is subject to approval by Student Employment. Students’ pay is based on an established pay scale which ranges from the CT minimum wage for entry-level positions all the way to over $26 per hour for the most advanced jobs.

Note: this pay scale is effective 1/01/2017

Class, Requirement, and Pay Rate

I: The position does not require a specific degree of skill or prior work experience.


II: The position requires a reasonable degree of skill, prior experience and a fair amount of responsibility.

$10.25 – $11.45

III: The position requires a high degree of skill and entails an extensive amount of responsibility.

$11.50 – $13.45

IV: The position requires advanced skill, market/environmental demand, knowledge and/or training in a scientific, academic or specialized study.

$13.50 – $28.80

How many hours may students work?

While there is no minimum number of hours a student must work, there are recommended maximums. It is recommended that full-time students not exceed 20 hours per pay week (Friday through Thursday) in all jobs. During semester and summer breaks, it is recommended that students not exceed 40 hours per pay week in all jobs. Work hours vary depending upon the job requirements. Work schedules are arranged directly with the hiring department. On average, students work between six (6) to twelve (12) hours per week. The number of hours a student works is typically based on the following considerations:

  • the student’s class schedule
  • the department’s staffing needs and fiscal restraints
  • the student’s award amount (for students working under Federal Work-Study)

Students may not work during times in which their classes are scheduled.

Special Restrictions on Work Hours:

International Students: Per United States Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations, failure to comply with the following policy is a violation of the student’s visa status that could ultimately result in deportation:

  • During the fall and spring semesters, international students who are eligible for employment in the US may not work more than twenty (20) hours per pay week, Friday through Thursday, in all jobs combined (including graduate assistantships).
  • During semester and summer breaks, if the student is eligible and intends to register for courses for the next semester, an international student may work full time, up to, but not more than, forty (40) hours per pay week, in all jobs combined.

Minors under 18 years of age: Student employees under 18 years of age, who are matriculated University of Connecticut students, are subject to the University policy regarding work schedules. For student employees who are still enrolled in high school, state law restricts not only the total number of hours per week but also the time of day and total number of hours per day. These non-UConn students also need to submit a Statement of Age (“working papers”) prior to beginning work. Contact Student Employment for more information or refer to details about the employment of minor students within the Employment Guide.

What paperwork must students complete before they begin working?

  • I-9 Form (Employment Eligibility Verification)– Student employees must ensure they submit a Federal I-9 form prior to beginning work. The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 require employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of ALL EMPLOYEES. Before students are allowed to begin working at UConn, they must present ORIGINAL UNEXPIRED documents showing identity and employment eligibility. If you cannot present the necessary documents, you will not be authorized to begin work. From the following list, students must provide either one unexpired document from List A –OR- one unexpired document from List B AND one document from List C.  The Federal I-9 form will be completed by the hiring department.


Documents that Establish both Identity and Employment Eligibility

  1. U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
  2. Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
  3. Foreign passport that contains a temporary with I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa.
  4. Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-766)
  5. In the case of a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer incident to status, a foreign passport with a Form I-94 or Form I-94A, bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien’s non-immigrant status, as long as the period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form
  6. Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI.



Documents that Establish Identity

  1. Driver’s license or ID card issued by a State or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
  2. ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
  3. School ID card with a photograph
  4. Voter’s registration card
  5. U.S. Military Card or draft record
  6. Military dependent’s ID card
  7. U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
  8. Native American tribal document
  9. Driver’s license issued by a Canadian government authority

For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above:

  1. School record or report card
  2. Clinic, doctor or hospital record
  3. Day-care or nursery school record



Documents that Establish Employment Eligibility

  1. Social Security Account Number card other than one that specifies on the face that the issuance of the card does not authorize employment in the United States
  2. Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545)
  3. Certification of Report of Birth issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350)
  4. Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by the state, county, municipal authority or territory of the United States bearing an official seal
  5. Native American tribal document
  6. U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)
  7. Identification Card for use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179)
  8. Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security

If a student is under age 18, does s/he need “working papers”?

According to CT State law, UConn students under the age of 18 do need working papers to secure a job. Student Labor employees under 18 years of age who are not UConn students will need “working papers” (officially known as a Statement of Age) before starting work. These students may obtain working papers from their local high schools by presenting a written promise of employment signed by the prospective employer as well as a document which shows age (e.g., birth certificate, passport, driver’s license, or resident alien card).

How do students get paid for the work they perform?

Departments enter payroll authorizations for their student workers prior to the employees’ start dates. Once the department payroll contact receives documentation of hours worked, these hours may be entered according to the established payroll deadlines for that academic year. Only students who have completed all their pre-employment paperwork may have their hours entered in the system and receive payment. Students will receive payment for hours worked two weeks after the end of the payroll period in which they worked. They may pick up their checks at their place of work or have funds electronically deposited into their bank accounts. New student workers may need to wait up to 6 weeks to receive their first check due to processing requirements.

About Lump Sum Payments: In rare circumstances, Student Labor workers may by paid in lump sums. Students may not be paid on a lump-sum basis using Work-Study funds.

Are Work-Study earnings deducted from the fee bill?

No. Unlike other forms of aid, Work-Study must be earned. Students must secure a Work-Study job and work to receive a bi-weekly paycheck.

What happens to a Work-Study job if a student withdraws from school or enrolls less than full-time?

To remain eligible for Work-Study, students must be enrolled full-time by the end of each semester’s Add-Drop period. An exception is made for graduate students in the Schools of Social Work and Law, who must have half-time status. Students who do not meet the enrollment requirements will lose their Federal Work-Study Awards and will be terminated from their Work-Study positions. If they withdraw from school, students must notify their employers and stop work immediately.

Can students use Work-Study if they participate in the Study Abroad Program?

No. Students studying abroad cannot earn Work-Study during the time they are out of the country. If a student has Work-Study for the entire academic year, but is studying abroad for a single semester, the financial aid package will be adjusted so Work-Study eligibility will be maintained only for the semester in which the student is enrolled in classes at UConn (in CT).

Can students be paid through Work-Study for internships/practica work?

In most circumstances, students may not be paid for internship work through Work-Study if they are receiving academic credit for that work. Students with Work-Study typically may only earn money for hours worked above those for which they receive credit. Please contact Student Employment at 860-486-3474 for details about the approval process. An off-campus job for a non-profit organization requires prior approval.